Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Radicalism article on the CBC online

Here's a link to my latest CBC piece--it just came out:

Terrorism, Radicalism, and Reaching Out

This essay was inspired by a family friend's link to an article online.  That original article is not worth sending along--it was reductionist and offered crazy generalizations.  (For instance, if you refer to Islam as a singular, monolithic world entity, you are oversimplifying in a somewhat scary way.  Just saying...)

 At moments like this, I feel lucky that I went to graduate school in Religious Studies and learned about the subtlety and diversity of one of the big world religions...it never landed me a job, but it did help me with a deeper understanding.  When I responded to the friend about this, he also was kind--but belittling.  This is when I am glad I too can speak out.  No, we can't solve all the world problems ourselves.  Of course not...but I have the luxury of a first world situation--a house, food, heat, electricity, internet--in which to think about these issues.

So, to point out the absurdity of the contrast... 

It's March and I hear someday winter will go away.  It's a bit hard to believe this morning, as it was -15F without the windchill.  Most recent morning temps indicate -28F windchill, about -36C.  I took a little time this week to revisit a pattern I wrote a long time ago, Bug Finger Puppets.

 I designed these, long ago, for Knit Picks and eventually the rights reverted to me and it is now for sale on Ravelry.  Alas, I had to send away those original finger puppet samples for the photo shoot and they never returned home.  By then, I'd also given away all much of the original yarns I'd used...because back then, I did not have twins who would enjoy them!  (What's that about the cobbler's children going barefoot?!  I can't hear you...)


Anyhow, I came up with a couple new Ravelry ads to remind me that spring would come.  I think sometimes when winter drags on, a little whimsy is a good thing.  Sure does help distract me from all the bad stuff in the world news.

So as the three year old super heroes playing hard at my house would say (while wearing pillow cases as capes):  "TAKE THAT-WINTER!  I'm going to get you!!"  If you're a knitter, use up some scraps.  Make some puppets!

Wishing you all good things.  I'm off to chase small super heroes in Penguin and Monkey costumes for the next few days...
:) Joanne

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

So cute! Give them a big hug from me!

Love that finger puppet.

March 10, 2015 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Alison! As soon as somebody slows down, I'll get in another hug. :)

March 11, 2015 at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home