Monday, June 01, 2015

A birthday... and more

My boys are four years old today.  Here they are, modelling my new hat design (pattern to be released soon!) and blowing funny kisses to the camera.  Thank you to everyone who has helped us make it to four years old!

I haven't blogged lately, in part because just keeping up with life seemed hard.  I had some weird snafus; things that got lost in cyberspace, didn't get published, stuff like that.  Nothing major, I let it go, but it meant some things I wrote, time and energy got lost along the wayside.

Recently, I've focused on my work efforts here.  Several readers have asked me to send links to my articles and this allows me to do it one place.  I've started publishing knitting patterns more regularly again after a long hiatus, and the blog allows me to announce them, too.

I'm excited about this focus on my work life, which I'm slowly regaining. On a good week, I get maybe 10-15 hours a week to work. The thing I can celebrate as the boys turn 4 is getting back a little of my professional freelance life back as well.  Twins are all consuming, and in a place where it is hard to access childcare and we have no nearby family, I sometimes spend weeks or months trying to manipulate all the household obligations so I can find time to write and design.  Preschool and summer camp (X two kids) become essential.

Regaining that chance to think, write and produce is crucial for me to be a financially contributing household member and a happier, self-actualized person.  I think this also probably makes me a better mom.  (Now, if only I could get everyone to sleep through the night.  I am bushed!)    

So here's to four!  Here's to new designs, articles, ideas, and creative outlets for all of us!  (The boys' favorite gifts this year included a lot of creative play toys: ukelele, a kid-sized banjo, lego train and rocket sets, balls, books, a play silk, and other wonderful surprises)

Recently published in the Winnipeg Jewish Post & News, on community belonging and ownership:
Building and revitalizing Winnipeg’s Jewish community

Recently published on the CBC Manitoba website--on enforcement (or not) of Winnipeg bylaws:
Navigating Winnipeg parking driving cycling bylaws a dizzying affair

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mandyz said...

I'm curious if you get incredulous questions - "are they twins???" I do. All the time. "But that one is bigger." Yep. A delightful challenge to the concept of "identical" twins. It doesn't help the sister 4 years older could be their triplet (except for the much more obvious size/development difference).

June 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I get it all the time! It is constant. People are particularly confused with the idea that my fraternal twins look so different. It is like they missed that whole thing in biology class and I am stuck teaching them. Funny thing is that people have no understanding of how twins come about. I even had one lady ask me if one came out three months after the other one did. Really!!

We like to make a joke of it when we can. We have several outfits in which Daddy's shirt matches one twin's--so he and Daddy are twins. Or, if Mommy is wearing her black pea coat and so are both twins, well, we are triplets. The boys think it is hilarious!

Sometimes I say, "yup, they came out at the same time! Twins! And no, not premature, fraternal, two boys...any other questions?"

I am hopeful that when they are older, they will look so disparate that it won't always be the first question people ask, cause you are right. It is a drag.

June 10, 2015 at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home